Saturday, July 26, 2008

Mom is gone, grab the checkbook

I'm sure for most of my "readers" I could make the assumption that their mom was the one in charge of the weekly grocery shopping. This is the case in my family. My dad accompanies my mom on grocery shopping trips but my mom is the list keeper, the one who determines what the family needs. My dad wonders off on his own and gets his yogurt, his frozen dinners, his granola bars, and my mom gets the food for the rest of us.
It is always a treat to go grocery shopping with my dad alone because he basically lets us get whatever we want. Not that my mom doesn't let us, we are not deprived by any means, but, as Tuna (my sister) pointed out the other day, "When I go grocery shopping with dad I always get Ben and Jerry's".
This weekend my mom is out of town which means the weekly Friday grocery shopping was left up to my dad. Tuna was quite upset that she had a prior commitment because no one wants to pass up the opportunity to be with dad and the checkbook.
As my dad and I entered the grocery store it became clear that he had a "hidden" agenda for grocery shopping . Not only do WE get to get what we want when my mom is gone, but so does my dad. Needless to say we are up two cookie/cake magazines, key lime pie, pop-tarts, oatmeal cream pies, and one color changing bath loofa.

6 comments:

Kevin said...

Can I come next time?!?!?!

And I have to ask, is the color changing bath loofa for Durell?

Anonymous said...

Color changing bath loofa? I am not surprised about the other stuff (I'm not stupid, after all), but the loofa? I think I can pretty well bet that he may have paid for it, but it wasn't his purchase!

tacy said...

it wasn't his purchase but I said I wanted it and low and behold it is now mine!

Unknown said...

My dad is the same way. Aren't dad's cool. Marty is the same way.

Anonymous said...

color changing bath loofa is now my phrase of the day

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.