Monday, August 4, 2008

Icky (part 2)

I have a knack for picking out odors and I can smell something from a mile away which works to my benefit and to my detriment.
So I said in my previous blog that I smelled really bad (which is true) but as I returned to work this afternoon I happened upon something that smelled worse. My dad and I were weeding a garden and I bent over to pull up a weed and I smelled Devils Member, the fungus mushroom thingy pictured above. It has a very nasty distinct smell. I didn't see any and I told my dad I smelled it and he said he didn't see any either or even smell it. So I thought maybe I'd lost my mind, but needless to say I still smelled it. As I moved along, pulling weeds I followed a weed down to its roots to pull it out and what do I find a ton of growing under the flower layer? You guessed it, Devils Member. Along with the devils member I found a half eaten turkey sandwich covered in ants and that probably wasn't helping with the odor. It smelled SO bad!
Speaking of Devils Member! I have a story that probably doesn't seem very funny unless you were there but it was funny at the time.
I was mowing a lawn and I saw what I didn't know at the time was Devils Member. I thought it was an orange snake sticking its head up through the grass. Well I'm afraid of snakes so every time I drove past it I would freeze a little (not thinking that all I had to do was mow over the stupid thing). After about three or four passes I noticed the thing hadn't moved so I came to two conclusions. Conclusion 1: A snake had stuck it's head up through the lawn and died and rigor mortis had set in and it was frozen there. Conclusion 2: Some kid had left his toy snake in the lawn. Using Occam's Razor (that one is for you Lydia) I decided upon conclusion 2.
So after I left that lot Katy and I went on a trash run picking up limbs and piles of weeds people had set to the side of the road. We had a little time on our hands so I told her about the toy snake and asked if we could go pick it up. We drove to the lot and I jump out to go get it and saw that the "snake" had now shriveled up. My mind immediately jumps to conclusion 1 and I think it was a REAL snake and its lifeless body had shriveled in the sun. I yell for Katy to come see the phenomenon and she comes to my side, takes one look at it and starts laughing at me. Needless to say she explained to me that it was Devils Member and it smells really bad and all that jazz.
So thank you Katy for enlightening me! I will forever think of you when I smell that aroma.

2 comments:

Katy Wilson said...

i, too, can smell the devils member from far away....always at the iris garden that is no more behind the boot shop and always at the kiask....
you must have gotten your distinct sense of smell from me...because i smelled your nasty armpits all the way over here today!...or maybe it's just the fact that my roomate has HORRIBLE b.o. too...

Kevin said...

Isn't it really called The Devil's Penis? I remember Mike and me having a few good laughs about that name whilst we worked... on the Temple grounds, no less. Funny story Tacy.

Anyone I know still working at NRI besides the Nelsons?