Saturday, August 8, 2009

One Ring To Rule Them All


(please listen to song #72 of #73 from the Lord of the Rings)
My sister Katy and I have these rings we wear on our left pinkie finger.
No it isn't a replica Lord of the Ring ring. It is a simple gold band.

We've had these rings for probably around five years. If we calculate up all the time that mine has been missing it'd probably be three years. No joke. But this ring, like the Lord of the Rings ring ALWAYS comes back to me. It is like it can't be away from its owner! It is a little creepy.

The first time I lost it I was at work at the Fudge Factory. I don't remember why...oh yes I do! haha! My little sister Jessie tried to hold my hand and I hate touching so I violently ripped my hand away and the ring flew off my finger. I searched and searched for that ring and couldn't find it anywhere! In meantime I went back to school in Idaho and around Easter time I got a phone call that one of the ladies I work with found my ring. It was crazy because I thought it was lost forever!

Another time I lost my ring I was in St. Anthony Idaho at the Sand Dunes. It was dark and we were having a bonfire and I flailed my hand some way and my ring flew off my finger. The sand was tan, the ring was gold, it was dark...I was for sure I had lost it forever. My friends and I grabbed our cell-phones (no one had a flashlight) and we searched and searched the dunes on hands and knees. Remember that this is sand, and if you misplace ANYTHING for too long the wind will blow and the sand will cover it. I've had friends lose shoes out there! We searched for about an hour and then gave up and went back to bonfiring. As we were leaving my roommate decided to give it one last look and guess what...she FOUND it!

One morning I woke up to discover the ring had slipped off my finger in the night. I searched my bed and couldn't find it. I pulled off the sheets and removed all my pillowcases and found nothing. I moved my bed I vacuumed with the hose covered with my nylons (so i could suck stuff up but catch what I was looking for) and never found the ring. Months went by and many many vacuums went by...I chalked it up to being gone forever. The next semester I was moved and gone and I got a phone call from my roommate. Her new roommate who had taken my room had decided to move furniture and found a little gold ring under the dresser (which was on the other side of the room from my bed)! Crazy?!?! Yes!

Here's the last story. (even though I COULD share a few more) Last fall I didn't wear my ring much because it is a little too big for my finger (obviously...haha) and I didn't want to lose it while I was mowing a lawn or something and have it gone for good so it spent a lot of time in a ceramic dish in my kitchen (don't ask my why it was there... it just was). Well the time came for me to go back to school and the ring wasn't in the dish anymore. I know I didn't move it so it was weird. I looked for it and found nothing and once again chalked it up to being gone forever. I came home about two weeks ago and my little sister and I were going through her dresser drawers. She emptied out a drawer and what does she pull out of it? My ring!!


6 comments:

Katy Wilson said...

you mean songs 72 or 73...

I love my ring. And...my fingers are way too fat for it to fly off randomly...

which reminds me of another 'ring flying off my finger' story of sarahs. let's see if she remembers it and posts it as a comment.

mom said...

Speaking of rings...we all know that Janice Matlock got Katy's old Ford Focus when it was sold, well, not long after she got it, her grandson was cleaning it out. He even took the seats out so he could clean under them. Guess what he found? A gold ring and a pearl necklace! Whose gold ring was it?

raw in nauvoo said...

hehehe. That cracks me up!!!

Jessie said...

The ring mom speaks of was a Lord of the rings ring.. Haha

ashlee jean said...

oh my word i remember when we decided to start wearing our haley rings. <3<3<3

ashlee jean said...

okay ps: into the west is kinda aaron and i's song...like, we ALWAYS sing it together. ahhh memories.