Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Pain of Reading


I love books.
I'm almost 100% positive no one knows that about me though because I don't read as often as I'd like to.
"Why?" you might say, "Do you not read if you love books?"
Here is your answer:
I get so into reading that I kind of become obsessive.
I wrote a blog a while ago about how I live my life vicariously through other people, be it a tv show character, movie character, or even a real person. I need to add book characters to that list.
When I watch a TV show it is usually about 42 mins long and the characters have gone through something and the situation has been resolved. Add a couple more hours to that same situation and you have a movie. Everything happens in a reasonable time frame, so when I watch I don't feel guilty sitting there and watching.
Nothing bugged me more then when we would watch a movie in high school and it'd get shut off half way through so we could watch the rest the next day.
When I read I can't just put the book down and wait to read the rest the next day. I have to read (or listen to) the whole thing or I'll lose sleep!
Just yesterday my mom and Jessie and I were listening to the book The Hunger Games (by Suzanne Collins. It's really a page turner!) and at about 9:00pm my mom said "Ok, lets shut it off for tonight." I don't even know HOW she could say that! After she left Jessie and I hit play again and listened until 2am when it was finally over.
It's like that for everything I read. Not just the suspenseful page turners, everything!

It is an unhealthy relationship I have with books.

6 comments:

Lyd said...

haha That's something that I'm trying to pick up; reading more books. And I've heard tons of good things about the Hunger Games. Totally going to read that one this summer.

Katy Wilson said...

so i'm sure you can sympathize with me for staying up until 4:30 watching crap on netflix...you get addicted and just keep thinking 'one more epsiode'...

Sarah Harward said...

I LOVED LOVED LOVED 'The Hunger Games' and I loved 'Catching Fire' (the second one) too. But I'm SO mad that I read these before the series was complete because it's KILLING me to wait until later this year for the next book to come out!!!

colista said...

Oh my gosh, Tacy....i am exactly the same way!!! Only I go so far as I obsess over the smell and condition of my books. I just LOVE LOVE LOVE the smell of a brand new book...and I NEVER let my covers get bent or the binding in any way...yeah, I know...I'm OCD! haha!

Jared and Rachel Judy said...

I'm the same way... that's why its so hard for me to start reading!

Unknown said...

I am just the same. I have been that way since I was a kid. I LOVED "the hunger games". :)