Thursday, December 17, 2009

You Win Some You Lose Some

I'm not sure how weak the stomachs of my readers are. The picture isn't bad but if you have a really weak stomach then I'm sorry.

I'm home!
I had my surgery on Tuesday the 15th. They spent 5 hours operating and came to the conclusion that my nerves are damaged beyond repair. So basically the surgery was pointless and I'll never be able to feel my arm BUT if we hadn't done surgery we never would have known the extend of my nerve damage.
But not all hopes are lost!
In my Tuesday surgery they were trying to repair my nerves so that everything would work again. Since that didn't work they are now going to hook up one of my muscles that isn't attached to my dead nerves and hook it up to a muscle hooked up to my dead nerves so that I can move my arm...even if I can't feel it.

So I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.
Here is a picture of my incision (12 inches long). Luckily there was a plastic surgeon in the OR so my scaring shouldn't bee too much. They mostly glued it shut with only a few stitches.
OH YEAH! And there was a very special doctor in the OR with me too! I met him on Monday during my doctor visit before surgery.
His name is Dr. Osama and he is visiting from Baghdad! Oddly enough when I very first met him all he did was smile at me and it was oddly comforting. He seemed like a really really nice guy!

7 comments:

Katy Wilson said...

sorry that i almost pulled your stitches out earlier...my bad...

Mary said...

You look like sally from nightmare before Christmas. Sorry it didn't turnout the way you had hoped.

katie said...

I'm glad there's still something they can do. Thanks for the update- you're such a good blogger! Good luck Tacy Nelson!

Joanne said...

Holy cow Tacy! Can you feel anything in the part of your arm where the incision is? I guess that might be the only good thing about not having any feeling in your poor arm. Man oh man Tacy. Hope they can fix it up enough for you to be able to move it. I agree with the comment above. You are an amazing blogger.

Lyd said...

I'm so sorry Tace!! I really hope the other surgery works out!!

I like the Sally comment, Mary. Made me laugh.

Anyway, you're amazing for all that you have gone though! You're truly an example. Love ya!

ashlee jean said...

oh my darling tace ann im glad youre home and okay. i wish the surgery could have solved it with feeling, but movement and use is amazingly great nonetheless. however, im sure that if the doctors from greys were there, it would have been better =) miss you and love you.

Sam said...

well this is bummer news, but i hope that repair job ends up OK. say hi to osama for me! :)