Tuesday, December 8, 2009

(: Smile :)

I was reading through my journal the other day and I came across a whole page I had dedicated to smiling and laughter. At the end of the page I had resolved that I was going to allow myself to be more happy and to do that I'd smile and laugh more often.

Really, if you think about it, smiling is so easy and can do so much good.

I challenge everyone to smile and laugh more often! Here are a few facts that should encourage my point:

it takes 10 Minutes on a rowing machine to get your heart up to the same rate as after 1 minute of hearty laughter.

15 minutes of laughter a day will result in 1-4 lbs of weight loss per year

50 calories are burned during 10-15 minutes of laughter

Endorphins and HGH (an anti-aging hormone) are increased 27% when laughing

People in the 1950's laughed an average of 18 minutes per day.
Today people laugh an average of 5 minutes per day.

Young children laugh 112 times during the day.
The average 42 year old will laugh approximately 6 times a day.

facts found in jan/feb 2009 issue of LDSLiving

8 comments:

Sam said...

me and one of my companions use to use smiling as a door approach on the mission. they would open the door and we would just smile, then they would invite us in! smiling = good!

Lyd said...

Sam, that is awesome! I love it!! What is this world coming to and their lack of being happy?! Makes me feel sorry for those people who feel like they can't be happy.

Erin and Devin said...

I love the picture of the little kid! Thanks for the fun facts! I will try to laugh and smile more!

david and christina said...

way to inspire! this is a great motivation

Sam said...

I feel bad for those people too, I really think being happy is a choice we make - not something that just happens to us. "Happiness is a mode of travel, not a destination."

Lyd said...

Ooooo!!! I'm SO happy you wrote that Sam!! I'm writing a paper on happiness and I'm totally adding what you said into an experiment that I did!

tacy said...

Oo! I love your quote sam! Good luck with your paper lyd!

Katie said...

you guys make me happy ^_^