Sunday, September 20, 2009

I Had An Apple and I Cut It Up

I bet you didn't know that:
  • There are 7,500 different varieties of apple grown worldwide.
  • It takes about 40 apples to make 1 gallon of apple cider.
  • Apples float because 25% of their volume is air.
  • The largest apple on record was 3lbs 2 oz.
  • The apple belongs to the rose family.
I have always liked apples but I've never been sure what my favorite kind of apple is.
This year (as one of my 2,001 things to do before I die) Jessie, my mom, and I conducted an "Apple Test" to see what apple was our favorite. Of course we didn't have all 7,500 varieties. We went to all the grocery stores around here and bought one of all the apple variety they had (besides red and golden delicious because we know we hate those).

After tasting 11 varieties of apple I have decided that Braeburn apples are my favorite. My mom's favorite were Jonathan, and Jessie's favorite were Honeycrisp.

It was a great way to usher in the new season!

10 comments:

JA said...

Gala apples for me please!

A little Birdie... said...

What a good idea! I'd do it too, but the Rexburg grocery stores probably offer all of 3 varities, so I wouldn't get very far. Bummer.

Kevin said...

I love that the song that came on when I read this was "Carmen San Diego". Classic.

Katy Wilson said...

OH, HOneycrisp, the apple that mom was buying in Walmart because she didn't think you had that kind. Good thing she got it because if not Jessie might not ever of found her favorite. Mine, I think, is Granny Smith...but I haven't tasted a whole lot of other kinds...

Lyd said...

Where is that on our list of things to do?! I was looking though some of it last night and I didn't see anything about apples!! I must do this if it's on our list!! Tell me! :D

tacy said...

Lyd, I wrote it in. "Find out what apple is really my favorite."

The Hathaways said...

I would have to say Gala is my favorite. Do you know what kind of apple the 3 pounder was?

Unknown said...

tace you rock my world. that sounds like a simply magnificent idea! i'll have to do it sometime. we'll have to figure out something like this to do when we ever end up seeing each other <3 you

Mary said...

I love Gala. They are crisp and very sweet and they don't turn brown when cut up. Great eating apple.I love your idea to try a bunch to find a favorit.

The Adams Family said...

Hey, the Braeburn apple is by far my favorite of all I have tasted. I just discovered them this past year. Love them!