Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The Power IN Prayer

I was scrolling through Pinterest the other day and I came across this quote:

Our prayers may be awkward. Our attempts may be feeble. But since the power of prayer is in the One who hears it and not in the one who says it, our prayers DO make a difference. -Max Lucado

There is a lady from our community who has been coming to church every Sunday for the past couple of months. She knows a lot of us from working within the community, so I think she is comfortable being there, but not until recently did she make comments in Sunday School or Relief Society. This past Sunday I had to find a person to say the prayer in Relief Society before conducting.  I immediately thought of asking her, because I just really want her to feel included.  Being a Baptist (or former Baptist) I wasn't sure if she would accept.  I asked her and she looked at me like, "are you sure?!", and said, "I'd be honored!"
Her prayer was definitely not a "typical" LDS prayer.  She didn't say "Thee", or "Thou", or "Thy", or "Dear Heavenly Father", but there WAS a spirit brought to the room because of her prayer.
It just reaffirms the quote.
The power of our prayers isn't in the clever things we try to say. (Cause let's face it, whenever I have to say a prayer for a group, I spend lots of time trying to rehearse the prayer in my head so I don't sound like an imbecile when I stand up.)  The power rests solely on our Heavenly Father, and if we sincerely desire what we are praying for (not matter HOW we say it) He WILL answer it.

No comments: