Sunday, May 18, 2014

Not so smarty pants!

I've been told I'm a smart person.
I would agree, but......sometimes I'm really really NOT smart.
Here are a few examples.

In church there is always a bell that rings loudly throughout the building sometime near the end of the second hour of church.  For 28 years I thought that bell was just some stupid kid ringing the doorbell outside the church.  Turns out it is a 5 minute warning bell so the Sunday School teachers know when to quit.

As a kid in primary we sang a song called Nephi's Courage.  In the chorus it says, "I know the Lord provides a way, he wants me to obey."  Up until a few months ago I thought it said, "I know the Lord provides away, he wants me to obey." As if providing like leaving, and the Lord "provides" away.  Like running away, he "provides" away.  Yeah.....seriously, thought that for like 25 years.

I've lived in Nauvoo my whole life.  The main street uptown is called Mulholland.  If driving west out of town on Mulholland street, the road naturally curves so you are now headed south.  OR you can go straight, but with the road, it feels natural to go around the curve.  Two days ago, I realized that when the street curves, it stops being Mulholland street and becomes Durphy street. So if someone is looking for the State Park they will find it on Durphy Street.  My mind was blown.

A few years ago I went to the DMV to get my license renewed. As we were doing the eye exam (which required me looking into a tiny machine), the lady asked me to read line 8. I read it, which went something like, "a,s,v,d,", and she said, "can you finish the line?" And I said, "that's all that is there." So she said, "...ummm can you read the line above it?" So I did, and it went something like this, "u,t,p,f,". And again she said, "can you finish the line?" And again I said, "there aren't anymore letters." So now she was quasi worried and asked me to read the very top line. I said, "ok, but it only has 4 letters too." She had me pull my face back from the machine, and as I did I realized my right eye was closed during the whole exam. I looked back in the machine, and four more letters appeared on the end of each line.
Haha! Right?!
They gave me a license anyway.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to see your blog again!!!

nikki :)

Colista said...

I too am glad to see your blog again...and this post was particularly awesome! Thanks for a good laugh! I am equally as smart most of the time, LOL!

Sarah-Lynnetta said...

Your funny!