Monday, November 9, 2009

There's a Turtle in my Soup

I've been meaning to post this post for a long time.
Everyone knows I rolled my car and I'm fine, and that my passenger Sophie is fine.
BUT I forgot to tell everyone about my other passenger.

His name is Soup and he is a turtle.

He was a gift to me from my friend Katie who happened to find him in bowl in Beaver Dick Park, just outside Rexburg, ID. She had no way of getting him home (she was sure she couldn't smuggle him on the plane home) so he became mine. He sat in a small rubbermade in-between Sophie and I on the ride home.
While Sophie and I were waiting for the ambulance to arrive a man who stopped to help (who just happened to be an off-duty EMT) asked me if there was anyone else in the car. For some reason (probably the shock) I kept asking for my turtle, Soup. I bet everyone was expecting something wonderful, an exotic tortise with spurs on it's shell perhaps, ...not a rubbermade with a smelly half-dollar sized turtle in it.
The ambulance came and as they were checking everything vital the man, along with some other people, kept looking for Soup.
I was sure he was dead, there was stuff from my car thrown all over the road, there was no way Soup made it.
Just as they were putting the stretcher in the ambulance the man said "I found it! And it's still alive!" He brought Soup to me and we both rode in the ambulance to the hospital.

Soup has been great. He's got a fun personality and It's neat to watch him sometimes. When I turn the lights off in his tank (he needs at least 12 hours of light a day) he starts pushing his rocks around and his home is rearranged when I turn the lights back on in the morning.
As much as I love Soup I know his current tank isn't a good enough home for him.
He needs a filtration system (which I don't have). Because I don't have a filtration system I (well...actually Jessie) has to clean his tank out every week, and sometimes it doesn't get done. And sometimes the day after it is cleaned it is already dirty again.
It really isn't healthy for him to swim around in filth.
So I decided it was time to find soup a better home.
A lady I work with said her daughter had a tank with a filtration system and everything and she already had one turtle and she'd love to have Soup.
He was adopted today.
I'm sad that he's gone but I'm also happy he has a good clean home with someone who'll love him as much as I did.

Plus....as much as I loved Soup I really want a tortise (a tortise is a 'turtle' that lives on land, a 'turtle' lives in the water).

11 comments:

mom said...

I can't ready the yellow writing. I can only see the part that says 'beaver dick park'

Lyd said...

Agreed. I had to move my head around to read the words.

YAY!! He's cutie! And I'm glad to see a new post! I've been waiting for a new one! :D

Katy Wilson said...

I highlighted the words so I read it just fine...and I am SO GLAD you finally blogged about Soup!

Funny 'beaverdick' story...the first time I ever heard that phrase was at an early showing of that improv thing they do/or used to do at BYUI that was like Whose LIne is it Anyway...and I can't remember the skit, but all of the sudden one of the people shouted out 'beaver dick' and i laughed hysterically because I didn't know there was anysuch thing as Beaver Dick Park...I thought they were just being vulger/funny...

Sarah Harward said...

I, too, like Katy highlighted the words. I wish I would have known you needed a take with a filtration system, because when the Elmer's moved they put their take (with a filter) in my garage. I've been meaning to post it on craigslist or give it to goodwill, but haven't gotten around to it. I should have brought it to Nauvoo and given it to you!!

Kevin said...

Well, sorry you had to get rid of Soup. Especially after surviving that near-death experience. I wonder what was going on in his head during the crash...

Yeah Beaver Dick Park. I really wanna know the how's & why's of how that place got named...

Lyd said...

Wow, I didn't see like over half of this post!! Good thing I came back!

You guys are geniuses for highlighting!! Duh! But it looks fixed now.

I'm glad everything is great with Soup, even if you did have to give him away. :) Pet Nubbins for me. I just love that name. Makes me smile every time. :)

katie said...

Yay for happy endings!

ps. Beaver Dick Park is named after the mountain man by the same name... there's a memorial to him and his family on the land owned by the byui livestock center. They died of smallpox or something, I saw it from horseback, so I don't remember too well, haha.

Unknown said...

Cute story.:)

Lyd said...

His name was Beaver?!

Katy Wilson said...

Maybe his name was Dick Beaver

tacy said...

I think perhaps his name was Richard and as a nickmane they called him Beaver Dick, because he was a mountain man and Beaver Richards sounds awful.